Friday, March 13, 2009

Honestly

So I started at Gold's Gym because we had a huge snowstorm Tuesday and that was supposed to be my first day of training. Since MN weather is so unpredictable I decided to join the gym. Thursday I walked my first 3 miles. No problem. Not very sore. Made the mistake of getting bored around 1.5-2 miles and started doing lunges on the treadmill. My hip was a little sore from that. Then today I ended up getting off work early and I had an appointment for a personal training session (you get 2 when you sign up).

Since I was early for the personal training session (by an hour) I decided to catch up on my walking since I missed out Tuesday. So I walked for 50 min while watching NCIS. Yes, you have your own personal tv attached to the treadmill that gets many cable stations and you just plug in your own headphones. So after doing this walk I met with the trainer.

Every person I have talked to has asked me many times what my reasons for joining the gym were. I told them that I need to train for the 3-Day. So the trainer asks me this again, I tell him the same thing. Then he asks me how much weight I'm wanting to lose. I said I'm not really here for losing weight, I'm here to gain endurance so I can walk 60 miles in 3 days. I know by doing this I will most likely lose weight at the same time, but this is not my goal.
So he suggests 40 lbs by August 21st. I told him if I did that I would still be 80+ lbs overweight. He proceeded to weigh me and then he did a fat analysis. I have never had one of these done. It was interesting to know that even if I lost the weight on my body that is fat I would still weigh 155 from my muscle. I think I'm okay with that, plus some.

We did a quick cardio routine. I was more tired from that 20 min than I was from walking for an hour. Then we went back to his office for the sales pitch. He told me about the fitness plans that the club offered. Meal plans, dietary aids and supplements, personal training...all sounding great, but who can afford it! If you're going to offer something like this and I just told you that the dues alone for your gym were too high compared to other gyms, why would I spend tons of money for you to tell me what to eat and what vitamins to take. No thanks, I'll look it up on the internet.

To answer your question of why am I going to this gym when there are others that are less expensive:
1. location-it is between home and work
2. the manager actually gave me a deal when she found out I was joining to train for the 3-day.
3. sorry, but the personal TV is really cool :)

2 comments:

Jodi said...

The personal TV is really cool. That would keep my attention for a whole workout! I always get so bored watching their news/sports shows over and over every workout!

Unknown said...

yesterday I watched a whole episode of NCIS. today I watched TLC and HGtv home renovation shows.