Tuesday, September 8, 2009

Citizen Police Academy

My first night of "training". The Chief did an introduction and then Lt. Mark Bruley went over training and requirements. Lt. Bruley was a very interesting guy and has been in a lot of different areas of the department. Currently he is in charge of all the training of newbies. He also works on SWAT. So the requirements of a police officer:

Minimum of 2 year AS degree - check. I have an AS in Criminal Justice
Go through 9 month Skills Program - I could do that.
Take POST board test - possible.
Apply to a city that is hiring - no one is hiring.
Ex of applying to Brooklyn Park-written test, pass/fail; personality essay/stress test; physical fitness test; interview process/background check. This all takes around 10 months.
If hired, see psychologist and have medical screening. If both docs say you are ok you move onto a 5-6 week Academy that is similar to Skills Program but much harder.

I am quite happy with my job now and have a new appreciation for how my cousins got to where they are. I know I have congratulated them, but I really think what they do is awesome and wish I had the determination to get there. Great job John, Cory and Chad!

This class meets every Tuesday from 6:30-9. Some of the topics they will cover:
9/8-Police Training Overview
9/15-Use of Force
9/22-Patrol and CSO
9/29-Special Operations and City Attorney
10/6-Investigations and Gangs
10/13-Crime Analysis and Drug Investigations
10/20-Firearms/Shooting Simulator and Squad Car Tour/Crime Prevention
10/27-Evidence Processing and Detention Center
11/3-SWAT and Canine
11/10-Round table wrap up with Chief.

I am looking forward to getting info on the other departments within the police. It's possible with my degree that I may still qualify for a different position...that doesn't involve a physical fitness test.

3 comments:

erin said...

This is cool, Carrie! What made you decide to do this? Is your goal to become a police officer? I didn't know that about you. Thanks for sharing. :)

Jodi said...

Jenni's husband is in the middle of all that application stuff out in Portland. I am certain with your determination from all the training for the 3 Day you would be able to get into the shape you would need to pass a physical exam. You are amazing when you put your mind to something!

Unknown said...

when I graduated I was a rent-a-cop. I applied downtown St Paul for fingerprinting. Didn't get it. A few years ago I applied for Border Patrol. Took the test and passed and was put on a waiting list for Roseau, MN. Not exactly where I wanted to go, but I never heard back. I moved on to Lifetouch, but have always thought that I should have done something with my degree.