Wednesday, December 24, 2008

You want me to stick my hand where?!

I really wanted to cook a turkey for Christmas. It was my first time. I really don't like touching any kind of poultry. Just don't like the feel of it-mostly the wings. If you look closely there is still feather parts on the wings-YUCK! So the moms were over yesterday for cookie baking. Connie and Jadah were there too. Connie was nice enough to catch my whole ordeal on camera and video...sorry no video.















By the end of the rinsing part I was pretty comfortable with the bird-until my mom said to stick my hand inside it to really get it cleaned out. No way! So Margaret stuck her hand in there and got some gizzard stuff out. I lathered it up with butter, stuffed it with onions, garlic, and turkey herbs (they sell it at Cub). It smelled sooo good. I took some of the butter and herbs and shoved it under the skin - delicious smelling. My mom stayed through the cooking, but then I had to kick her out during the carving. There was a knife involved and I didn't want her to get hurt. The meat was so tender that I couldn't pull the legs off like I was supposed to. The bone just came right off. So the dark meat looks more like shredded turkey, but the white meat turned out very nice. I put it all in a crock pot with the juice from the pan. We'll see how it tastes today.

Oh, and the cookies turned out good too.

2 comments:

Jodi said...

Yummm-Y! Wish I was close enough to crash your party!

erin said...

Good work, Carrie!