Tuesday, February 26, 2008

Free Arts Day



I forgot to tell everyone about my volunteer day last Saturday. I joined about 50 people from Lifetouch and went downtown to a shelter called Mary's Place. We were paired up with a child and went around to stations doing art projects. My child was Mia, she was 11 y/o, in 6th grade. She did every art project-drum making, picture frame, yarn art, hand prints, and self . We did the picture frame one twice. At the end of the art session we were treated to a lesson on Taiko drums. First they taught us the different sounds that make up the beats. The kids got to play on practice drums. Then we went into a different room and were able to listen to a real performance. It was so cool, I felt a little emotional watching it. The group performs in the Twin Cities and other cities in the US. Their next venue is at the Anime convention April 6th. Unfortunetaly it is sold out. I always enjoy volunteering for Lifetouch activities because you usually get some kind of treat out of it as well as the volunteering. I went to Haiti and besides getting the experience of a lifetime, there was the volunteering part. As with this event, there was the experience of helping a child smile again and seeing the Taiko drum demonstration.

1 comment: