Saturday, April 24, 2010

23 weeks

It was an interesting week. I had a doctors appointment on Wednesday. It didn't turn out the greatest. Good news is I still haven't gained any weight. I wonder where it is all going. The books say I should have gained about 10-15 lbs by now. If I am losing the weight, I wish it were this easy before I got pregnant.
The bad news is my blood pressure was extremely high. It has been high before, but they would take it again and it would go down; or it was around normal. Apparently even a few points above 120/80 is still hypertension. Wednesdays visit was 158/90. She asked if I wanted to try and control this with a diet or medication. I wanted to try the diet first. I looked back at what I had been eating the last few days before the appointment and it wasn't great. So I thought if I watched what I ate maybe it would go down.
Fridays appointment wasn't much better. BP was 148/92. So she put me on Labetalol. For now it is a low dosage of 100 mg 1 tablet twice a day. I know they wouldn't put me on anything that would hurt Jolynn, so I'm not worried about that. What I am worried about is the increased BP that could hurt Jolynn or require me to go on bedrest early. I'm not prepared for that. I have another appointment on Monday. Hopefully this medicine will make a difference. I can tell you that worrying about your BP is not conducive to lowering it.
Another good for the week-Jolynn moves quite a bit. Can't wait for Jon to feel it on the outside.

Jolynn's progress:
Turn on the radio and sway to the music. With her sense of movement well developed by now, your baby can feel you dance. And now that she's more than 11 inches long and weighs just over a pound, you may be able to see her squirm underneath your clothes. Blood vessels in her lungs are developing to prepare for breathing, and the sounds that your baby's increasingly keen ears pick up are preparing her for entry into the outside world. Loud noises that become familiar now — such as your dog barking or the roar of the vacuum cleaner — probably won't faze her when she hears them outside the womb.

2 comments:

Jodi said...

Take it easy in the evenings. Let Jon wait on you-you know he will. Put your feet up, and just relax. You will do fine, hun!

erin said...

I'm really sorry, Carrie! Like Jodi said, when you come home from work it's time to just be DONE for the day. Let Jon worry about dinner, laundry, Polly, etc. Jodi and I can take turns coming to help out, too. Take care of yourself and Jolynn.