Tuesday, July 13, 2010

35 weeks

Doc Appt: I was a little concerned when they had asked me to come back for another appointment on Tuesday after just having my last appointment on Thursday. BP 136/88. Lost weight, so down 3 lbs from starting weight. Jolynn's heart rate was around 146. She moved more during the NST than she did last time. I don't know how to read these things because apparently she still isn't responding the way they would like. So my appointment this morning at 8:30 ended up with me coming back at 4:30 for ANOTHER ultrasound. This time they were looking at her lungs and blood flow through the umbilical cord. Both were not what they wanted to see. The blood flow through the UC shows restricted. Most likely because of the high BP. Dr. Florey asked me to see the Perinatal Unit for another ultrasound tomorrow (Wednesday). She mentioned bed rest. I don't know how much bed rest. If that is just to see how Jolynn reacts to rest and unrestricted blood flow by laying on my left side only, or if it is bed rest only to get me to 37 weeks and then they will induce. I know they know best, so I will do what they say and hope that Jolynn will be okay.

Doc Appt #2: Ultrasound #2 for the week at North Memorial Hospital. Jolynn was more active - enough to qualify for their standards. She also had the hiccups (which count for breathing patterns) and was breathing in between the hiccups. The umbilical cord was still showing signs of restricted blood flow. The doctor asked if I could go to Maple Grove Hospital for another ultrasound Thursday morning.

Ultrasound #3 for the week: Started at 8am at Maple Grove Hospital. Ultrasound went great. Jolynn was moving and breathing (no hiccups). Then they decided (for the heck of it) to take my BP-146/109. They were concerned about preeclampsia so they admitted me to the labor and delivery area. I stayed in the triage room for 2 hours, then they moved me to a postpartum room. They have 11 deliveries going on today - busy day.

I think we have had a total of 6 ultrasounds. Most people get one. I've started to fall asleep during them - same with the non-stress test. Just laying there listening to the heart beat. Or during the ultrasound where they are monitoring the breathing there really isn't anything to look at. Unfortunately in these later weeks you can't tell what things are on the screen; too little room left and the screen isn't big enough. The technicians are nice enough to try and get a profile photo each time.

So here I am in the hospital and they are not letting me out until Jolynn is born. Doctor came in and said with my BP being so high they do not want to send me home. I am at risk for seizures and the placenta separating from the uterus. All things not good. So the plan now (according to the doc) is bedrest on my side, constant BP monitoring, and if my BP stays around where it is when I am resting they will prep my cervix on Saturday and induce Sunday. Sunday will be week 36. At that point, Jolynn will most likely only need a few days of observation. If BP goes up before Saturday then they will induce before.

Jolynn's progress (she's the one that is doing great):
According to Babycenter:
Your baby doesn't have much room to maneuver now that he's over 18 inches long and tips the scales at 5 1/4 pounds (pick up a honeydew melon). Because it's so snug in your womb, he isn't likely to be doing somersaults anymore, but the number of times he kicks should remain about the same. His kidneys are fully developed now, and his liver can process some waste products. Most of his basic physical development is now complete — he'll spend the next few weeks putting on weight.

1 comment:

GML said...

shoo

So you're typing this from your hospital bed? I hope all goes well and that you're BP stays like that so that baby can stay in there a little longer.