Saturday, July 17, 2010

Hospital Stay: Day 2

Slept way better last night. Only got up two times. Both were for my BP check, which were within range and no alarms. Things are going well, so I hope Dr. Hessel will go as planned with getting my cervix prepped. Jodi brought us some preemie outfits yesterday and Jon picked out a cute one again. With all this being unplanned, Jon's mom thought for sure we were going to have this 10 lb baby because her boys were both big and long. With the ultrasounds showing her growth, she has been within normal range to be about 8 lbs at normal gestation. So I figure with being 1 month to go, she is probably around 6 lbs. So the outfit we had was for a newborn and Jodi's sister-in-law, Jenny, said her baby was swimming in that when they left the hospital and suggested getting the preemie.

Jane told us yesterday that the reason they have been late on getting things to me and I have to keep buzzing them is because I am a patient that they have not had before. The have those in labor and delivery, and those in postpartum. I am what they are calling antipartum. Basically, a sick pregnant person. They have not had someone who is pregnant and on bedrest stay at the hospital. This is a fairly new hospital so I can see that. I told her I understand and hopefully they don't mind me buzzing them when I know it is time for a BP reading or my medications. She said not at all and explained the whole thing above.

10:30- met with Dr. Hessel. She explained that my 24 urine collection showed proteins and I definitely have developed preeclampsia. My BP readings have been good, but not consistant and always from a laying down position. She is afraid if I were to go home the BP would not be good and I could have seizures. So they are starting Cytotec (a pill form) that gets inserted every four hours starting at 10pm (then 2am and 6am). It is possible for this pill to put me in labor. If it doesn't then they will start pitocin tomorrow.

11:00- Neonatal Nurse came in and talked to me about what to expect at delivery. Worse case scenario if she needs a ventilator she will be transported to North Memorial. Most times with 36wk babies she only sees a nasal canula to supply O2. If Jolynn comes out screaming (normal), they will put her on my chest. Then they will bring her to the warming unit and do their tests, measurements, and return her to me to be with me 24 hours. If she doesn't score well on the APGAR test or is in distress when she comes out, then they will take her over to the NICU for more observation. She said to plan on a weeks stay here (worse case), that way if everything goes well she will just go home as normal and everyone will be happy. She said she has seen many 36wk babies come out just fine and all they end up doing is saying "congratulations and good bye".

No visitors today so I slept a lot. Jon showed up around 6:30 and then went Target for snacks.

10:00- got first dose of Cytotec. Slept for a while, then Jane came in to check me at 2am and give another dose. I was at 1cm already. I woke up at 4am with very bad cramps and having to go #2. I didn't think I could get off the toilet the cramps were so bad. Jane checked me again and I was close to 2cm. She ordered the epidural. That doc showed up at 4:30. By 4:50 I was numb from the waist down. Jane said I was having contractions and I never felt them. Wonderful thing.

No comments: