Saturday, July 24, 2010

Going Home!

Jolynn had a weigh in at midnight. She gained 2oz! She also slept each time either 3 1/2 hours or 4 hours and we had to wake her for the 4 hour ones. She ate 35-40ml at each feeding. Seeing her progress with the bottle feeding makes me want to just pump as much as I can and feed her by bottle. The only down side to bottle feeding so far has been if she is still hungry after she finishes her bottle. She has to wait for another portion to be warmed up. If she was breast fed I could just whip it out and give her a little more.

Last feeding was at 7:30am. If she is anything like she was all night then she won't be up until 11:30. Around 9:30 we went back up to see if the doctor had been in or when he would be in. He had been in early and did his exam. He said she was okay to go home. They are scheduling a home visit by a nurse for Monday. Nurse said we would have to wait for her to wake up or her next feeding to do the bath and go over discharge information.

Her bath: We really already knew how to give her a bath, we just wanted them to do it before we put her cute clothes on. Nurse Terri said most kids don't like getting this done and scream bloody murder. Jolynn was swaddled and then Terri washed her hair. Jolynn practically fell asleep. When Terri was done she started drying Jolynn's hair - then Jolynn whimpered.

It took almost an hour and a half to get our discharge papers. We had Jolynn in her car seat ready to go and Nurse Amy said it was going to be a while. It took us quite a bit to get her in the seat I just thought we would wait it out. When it had been almost 1/2 hour I decided to take her out. Glad I did seeing that it took them 1 1/2 hours to get everything together. Finally at 1:30pm we had our papers and we were out the door.

Jon's parents were at our house painting the craft room. Mike had jimmy-rigged our broken fence so the dogs couldn't get out. As soon as we got home I went straight to her room to get her in her crib because she was sleeping. 4pm would be her next feeding if she stayed sleeping. With everyone all around, there was so much going on that she didn't sleep. Margaret finally got to hold Jolynn. She probably had the best time because there were no wires and cords. When every one left I tried to get her back on the hospital regime. At 8pm I took her temp, changed her diaper and held her for a bit while Jon made her bottle. Then she was fed, burped, fed, burped, and put down to go back to sleep. So far so good.

I thought I would breastfeed at night and bottle feed during the day. It really didn't work that way. I got up at midnight to feed her and she wanted nothing to do with the boob and I was too tired to try and concentrate on doing it correctly. So I had Jon get up and show me how he was doing her bottles. She drank 20ml at that feeding. We went to bed and at 1:45 she was crying. I did everything all over again - diaper, feeding (30ml) and back to sleep. I couldn't believe that she downed the whole 30ml when she just had 20. That made her sleep until 5:30. Thank goodness. She drank 35ml. and went back to sleep but was a little fussy so I had Jon rock her for a while. My boobs were so full I had bumps on one, they were sore, and leaking. I had to pump. I am producing over 100ml on each pump now. Hopefully she'll start to drink more soon or I am going to have an abundance of frozen breast milk.

No comments: